17 March 2010

Hump Day Distraction - Filipino Food - the next Asian hit?

Instead of online shopping, I thought I'd share a few recipe sites. I was inspired by an article in the LA Times a few weeks ago which explored how Filipino food has not fallen into favor with mainstream restaurants, despite the fact that several ‘hot’ LA chefs are Filipino.

It got me thinking if this will change as a generation of North Americans grow up with Filipino nannies. I’ve mentioned before that I’ve seen Filipino restaurants popping up in food courts, and recently saw a ‘Filipino’ Co-op in Innisfail, Alberta. I don’t think it will be too long before this influence is felt in our culinary world. Its fusion of Spanish and Asian flavours makes Filipino cuisine pretty approachable. It certainly is at our home. My little Chef K is a picky picky child when facing the typical breakfast and lunch, but he’s all over the flavourful, not very spicy Filipino stews.

Personally, I'd love to see this cuisine take off, not only because I enjoy Chicken Adobo and Lumpia (spring rolls), but also because all of my experience with the terrific parties hosted by Dear A and her friends has shown me how food plays an important role in every Filipino celebration. Cultures that celebrates with food tend to equal pretty great restaurants and I'm all for that.

A good recipe site to check out here and great Filipino food blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails