18 February 2010

Where Have All the Nannies Gone...

A recent trip to the mega-Asian mall near us surprised me.  Because it was just before Chinese New Year, I was expecting it to be busy. But busy with nannies? Not at all what I expected. Turns out, on weekends, this mall is Nanny Central.

I haven’t been in a while, but I got the sense this wasn’t a recent phenomenon. I asked Dear A about it after, and learned that it isn’t just the mall’s selection of Asian products that draws the crowd. There's a money-transfer business where nannies (and other foreign workers) can send money home, at, she said, rates more favourable than that offered at the larger institutions. There are even multiple food court locations where you can get a taste of Filipino cuisine, if you haven’t tried it yet.

All in all, a great surprise for me. I felt like I'd stumbled across a glimpse into a part of Dear A's life I didn't always understand. I suggest looking for something similar in your neck of the woods. It’s a great way to learn a little more about the person who spends 40 hours a week caring for your kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails