09 April 2010

Friday FAQ - Nanny applying for Permanent Residency?

Today's FAQ is mine - Dear A is in the process of applying for Permanent Residency and asked me for help. This, as usual, led me to a bunch of research... and an emotional crack up.

Q: What happens when my nanny applies for Permanent Residency? Does it affect her contract with me? What do I have to provide?

A: Your nanny's application for Permanent Residency does not affect your employment contract with you. Conditions for termination of employment would still be the same as before. What Permanent Residency does do
is it allows your nanny to pursue employment outside of the Live-in Caregiver program. As a permanent resident your nanny doesn't need a work permit anymore. They can change jobs, just like the rest of us, as long as all termination requirements were fulfilled. If your nanny is applying for Permanent Residency, you'll have to supply a letter of reference, detailing:
  • the specific period of employment with you
  • the position they hold during the period of employment
  • the main responsibilities and duties of the position
  • the total annual salary plus benefits
  • the number of hours worked per week 
You are also asked to provide a business card if possible. All this info and more is available at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Phew... learn something new every day right? So, that covers the technical aspect. Now, the emotional aspect. My first reaction: Waaaahhhh!! Then, I realized, I can't imagine a better situation. Heck of a lot better than my plan to have zillions of kids. As a permanent resident, Dear A will be able to stay in Canada. She'll be able to become an amazing nurse or a brilliant accountant. And, best of all, she'll be able to stay in our lives. Deep breath. Plus, its not happening for a while, so I have time to get used to it.

Happy Friday!

Remember you can always send me questions you'd like answered. I'm happy to research and ask our panel of experts. Send your FAQs to shortysho[at]hotmail[dot]com or put them in the comments.
*As always, today’s FAQ content is offered as information only and is only related to Canadian laws and policies. Please conduct your own research or consult a professional for advice on your personal situation.


Miss Su said...

Once they are a permanent resident they are allowed to go to school right? Just thought I'd check since I know they have to apply for an education permit if they want to before their 3900 hrs is up.

Shorty said...

Yup, its a right of permanent residency:
As a permanent resident, you and your dependants have the right:

* To receive most social benefits that Canadian citizens receive, including health care coverage.
* To live, work or study anywhere in Canada.
* To apply for Canadian citizenship.
* To protection under Canadian law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

You must pay taxes, and respect all Canadian laws at the federal, provincial and municipal levels.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails