08 June 2011

Nanny Upgrade & Poll: What to do about Baby #2

So, I had our 2nd baby 4 months ago....

A baby girl. She's amazing! She's gorgeous, funny, smart and kind of looks like Winston Churchill. Amazing. I spend hours each day amazed. It means so much to me to be home to see her each day. I really missed out, going back to work so soon with K.

Luckily, this time, I've been able to structure it so I only work a few hours a day, from home, around Mini Churchill (MC)'s naps. I'm happy. She's happy. It's working. But its not going to work forever.

I've only got about 7 more months of this pseudo maternity leave leeway. And even now, I do occasionally need to leave her with Dear A so I can take a conference call or meeting. At this point MC isn't difficult. She's cuddly and I'm taking care of diaper and boob milk duty, so its mostly just fun. But, I have started to consider how to eventually transition her full-time into Dear A's care.



First, there's the general keep her alive stuff: MC won't take a bottle. Any bottle. Believe me, I've spent about $200 on various models, even importing a Japanese one from the UK. (Don't ask, I have no idea why the bottle travels internationally.) I'm hoping by the time I go back to work, MC's on mostly solids, but I'm going to have to work on it.

Next, how's K going to react if he has to permanently share Dear A. He's ok with MC occasionally borrowing Dear A's lap now, and does ask if he can take his sister to the park, but its more along the lines of "Can I take my new purple train to the park" than "Hey I want to spend time with my sibling!"
I've been really pushing the "you're a big boy who can do lots by himself" thing, so I'm thinking next step is "MC needs more help than you..."

Last, and most definitely not least, I'm wondering about how official I have to make the change in Dear A's role? When Dear A was initially contracted, it was for the care of 1 infant. Since then, we've renewed her contract to reflect the needs of K as a toddler, and recently added the care of MC. But, I haven't addressed whether this should affect pay, and I haven't done up any official schedule/task list for their joint care, especially when K heads to pre-school in September.

I knew a 2nd kid would be work. I even considered that 1 nanny / 2 kids was a better childcare deal. (Yes, I think in cost/per kid. What?) I just wish I'd planned out the details a bit better. Its infinitely tougher to sort this all out when you're sleep deprived! So... I'm going to you guys.

Poll Question: Should you pay your nanny more for a 2nd kid if her hours and duties don't change very much? Answer the poll in the sidebar and I'll follow up at the end of next week!

3 comments:

Big Mama said...

Difficult question. I think if you hired her @ base in home caregiver salary you should give a raise of $200-$400/month. Her duties with K are less as presumably he is toilet trained, can dress him self etc. Given the amount of time A has been with you I would have an open and honest discussion regarding her expectations for pay and increase responsibilities. I find meeting the middle often works best.


When I had my second kiddo E I negotiated a slightly increase salary because of the new responsiblities. Now not to date myself but initally I paid D $11/hr and increased her pay to $14 per hour with new E because little V was in school parttime etc.

Good luck. Let me know how it turns out. :)

scrapinsteph said...

Wow, do not envy you :) I always tought you were super smart to hire a nanny in the first place so I know you will solve your concern.
So my opnion is the discussion needs to happen, she trusts you and will listen to what your thoughts are. Just be sure that the details in the expectations are accurate. I know conversations with my teenager are heard much differently then intended. I suspect ESL can be similar. While MC is still undemanding, that will change and then Dear A will have a different set of children in her care.
The wage may not have to change, but maybe there is a different compensation. Time off, different duties, somthing she needs paid for by you.
Just my thoughts :) Good luck, money can be a difficult conversation.

Sho said...

Comments by Anonymous were removed per their request. Its sad that even anonymously, this caregiver didn't feel safe enough to express her concerns at being taken advantage of by her employer. Dear A shared a similar story from a nanny in her circle as well. I'll address both in a future post.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails